Thursday 5 July 2012

Croc Spotting on Yellow Waters

Drove into Jabiru and had a look around town, Charlie spotted a playground so we had to grind to a halt (it is his trip too I guess..). Swings about 5m from edge of wetland, then there’s the lake, which had crocs in it (no fence between)..Just wondering how many curious toddlers have met their demise there...
Visited Bowali Visitor’s Centre and ran into the family from Williamstown we were sitting next to on Mindil Beach in the throng of thousands! Great Visitors’s Centre (I think my best yet). Really hands on, creative displays and not much to read (for the kids of course).
Set up camp at Mardugal and set off for our Yellow Waters Sunset Cruise, to spot some crocs! We weren’t disappointed, saw about 10. One was 4.5m long and just awesome, boat went right up close and I held v tightly onto Charlie! There were at least 20 species of birds (and some avid birdwatchers on the cruise let me tell you) Mark spotted a green tree snake on a bush which swam down and tried to slither into the boat (mother’s instinct had me pulling Samuel  back from the edge of the boat....didn’t know what sort of snake it was at that stage to be fair..I realise I am no Terri Irwin though!)
Guide said that the Aboriginal women get in (croc infested) waters up to their shoulders and feel with their toes in the mud for file snakes, catch them, bite their heads off, repeat the process 20 or 30 times and then cook ‘em up.
Battery on camera went dead flat on sunset and we are on an unpowered site tonight – doh! , may be a pic free post tomorrow, sorry folks.



1 comment:

  1. photos look like postcards Liss! think I need to through away my DSLR.... xx

    ReplyDelete